Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Small Business Marketing | "Rich, old men are not on Facebook."

...said my client, infamous "Company A."

If one word came to mind to describe my reaction to this statement it would be incredulous. Of the synonyms I like best - disbelieving, show-me and negativistic, which I swear is in the dictionary, are most fitting. Helping very successful, small business owners realign their definition of marketing is often an inherent part of my job description, but in 2011 social media is a no-brainer.

If you've run a successful business for more than 20 years and agree with the statement rich, old men are not on Facebook, here's the skinny.
  • Who isn't on Facebook? | With more than 750 million active users, 50% of whom log on to Facebook in any given day, the question really is who isn’t on Facebook? The average number of “friends” any given person has on Facebook is 130-200, and users spend over 700 billion minutes/month the site. If just one person shares a Company A email special on Facebook, that one reader has the potential to reach at least 130 people with one click.
  • Grow - or at Least Prepare To. | Integrating with Facebook also means Company A’s reach doesn’t have to stay domestic. Approximately 70% of Facebook users are engaging from outside the borders of the United States.While Company A doesn't sell to international markets at this time, the company doesn't have box itself in on purpose. Facebook leaves the door open for growth in those markets.
  • Get Mobile Immediately. | Finally, 250 of the 750 million active users are accessing Facebook from their mobile phones, and those 250 million are twice as active as those who access the site from a computer. By engaging with Facebook users, Company A not only automatically gains immediate exposure it also reaches those most likely to be actively reading and sharing its content.
In an effort to de-incredulous my attitude, I sent an email to Company A acknowledging the owner's opinion that rich, old men are not on Facebook, but respectfully stating a marketing plan without a social media component was a dinosaur. I listed 12 other industry-related, credible organizations who were present on Facebook (and stop listing only because I got bored) as well as highlighted the opportunities I saw to be better than those organizations.

Here was his email response:

"Fantastic memo!  That's what I'm struggling with and why I'm sharing my frustration with social media.  SHOW ME!

Where is the needle in the haystack?  It must be in there somewhere.  How do we find it?

This email is exactly the discussion and evidence I expected someone to present, not a lot of b.s.  I've seen and heard and read about from the gurus.

I want us to find an appropriate long-term strategy and media mix.

You might start by showing me, in person, what you see and feel as the experience at Facebook and Twitter.  For me, I'm just looking at a bunch of dorky people who want to be my friends that I have no interest in spending 2 minutes a month reading about.

Perhaps looking at our Facebook page and competitors would be a great way to start.

Nothing in this discussion should stress anyone out.  Please egg me, don't be frustrated because everyone doesn't see the world the way you do.  That's what makes you special and unique.  Finding the needle is the reason for my success."

I can only guess what "needle" I'll have to dig out of what haystack, but at least we're talking after I called his marketing plan a dinosaur. Don't let your consultant insult you - even if you do write an nice email back to her. If you're not in social media and have succeeded without it for 20 years, get in it anyway. It's way past time.

No comments: